Federal judge rejects Trump administration demand for Minnesota voter data
Published in News & Features
MINNEAPOLIS — A judge on Monday rejected the Justice Department’s demand for Minnesota’s unredacted voter registration list, marking another unsuccessful attempt by the Trump administration to obtain state election data.
U.S. District Judge Katherine Menendez dismissed the Department of Justice’s claims that the federal government could compel Minnesota to hand over voter data, which includes sensitive information such as the last four digits of a voter’s Social Security number and date of birth, under the Civil Rights Act of 1960 and Help America Vote Act. The 1960 Civil Rights Act was originally passed to address voter suppression and racially discriminatory voter restrictions.
“The government suggests it is permitted to use a civil action as a ‘fishing expedition,’” wrote Menendez, an appointee of former President Joe Biden, in her 27-page order. “But an ordinary litigant isn’t allowed to seek discovery first and allege a claim later, and the federal government has no special privilege to do so either.”
The lawsuit against Minnesota’s Secretary of State Steve Simon, filed last year, was part of the Trump administration’s attempt to access voter registration data from several states. Minnesota rebuffed the demand, arguing the federal government did not identify a legal basis for its request, nor explain how the data would be used or secured.
“My responsibility to Minnesota voters starts and ends with the law,” Simon said in a statement responding to the order. “The private data entrusted to my office does not belong to the federal government, and I’m pleased that the judge agreed. This ruling should be a relief to Minnesotans.”
Numerous courts across the country have so far tossed out similar claims.
The Justice Department said it disagrees with the ruling and will assess its next steps.
In her order, Menendez also held that Minnesota’s voter registration data is not covered by Title III of the Civil Rights Act, which requires election officials to retain and preserve records and papers relating to federal elections for 22 months. She determined Minnesota’s election officials do not explicitly “come into” possession of the voter data, as the law states, but rather, the voter rolls were created and continuously updated by Minnesota’s election officials.
“Secretary Simon ‘did not acquire, obtain or receive,” voter registration data, Menendez said. “Instead, (Minnesota) officials created it themselves.”
The ruling is another legal setback for the Justice Department in Minnesota. A judge last week dismissed another lawsuit targeting Minneapolis Public Schools that alleged the district discriminated against its white teachers. Minnesota’s federal judges have also dismissed the Justice Department’s lawsuits targeting its immigration policies and laws offering in-state college tuition to undocumented students.
Judges have tossed out similar lawsuits vying for voter data in the District of Columbia and the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
©2026 The Minnesota Star Tribune. Visit at startribune.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments